WYHA Head and Assistant coaches must follow the WYHA application process as follows:
- USA Hockey Registration - USA Hockey registration is required annually for Head and Assistant Coaches. Save your confirmation code as you will need it for the additional requirments.
- WYHA Coach Registration - All potential coaches for the 2018-2019 season must register with WYHA to be considered. Registering does not guarantee a coaching position. Coaches are determined following try-outs only after official teams have been formed.
- MN Hockey Background Screening - Background screening is required and valid for two (2) years. Coaches need to complete the background screening BEFORE you can take the ice and be rostered on a team. Screening will ask for your District, which Wayzata is in District 3.
- USA Hockey SafeSport - ALL Head and Assistant Coaches, Managers, Locker Room Volunteers and Board Members need to complete the USA Hockey SAFESPORT on-line training prior to be placed on a roster. SAFESPORT registration is free and is good for a two year period (hockey season). MAKE SURE SAFESPORT is 100% COMPLETED. You’ll actually receive 3 certificates, so don’t stop after the first one.
- Online Age Specific Modules: Completed Age Specific Module for EACH playing level you will be coaching. If you have completed an on-line specific age module in a previous year you do not have to re-take that module. Completed modules will be displayed under your USA Hockey Online Coaches Certification list.
- Concussion Certification Training: Minnesota Hockey requires all coaches to complete concussion training. Training received from other sports will satisfy the training required for this certification. You will need to provide a copy of your concussion certification by emailing it to Timothy Smith <email@example.com> before team rostering . This certification is good for ONE year only.
- USA Hockey CEP - Ensure your Coach Education Program or CEP level certification is up to date and appropriate for the level you are coaching. If your CEP is expiring you MUST find the next available class on-line and complete prior to 12/31/2018. EXCEPTION: Coaches of Mite, 8U or younger may remain at Level 1 or their current level even if it has expired. CEP levels are good for 2 years and only Level 3 can be renewed (twice). If your level 1 and 2 have expired, you need to proceed to the next level. CEP information provided by USA Hockey can be found here. Review your current CEP level with the USA Hockey Online Coaches Certification list. Please Register at USA Hockey Coaching Clinics. CEP Levels 1, 2 and 3 clinics will typically post mid September.
IMPORTANT - If you do not complete the required CEP level and Age Specific Module(s) before December 31st you will be removed from your roster and will no longer be eligible to coach for the remainder of the season.
If you have any questions, contact the WYHA Registrars ( firstname.lastname@example.org )or myself.
WYHA Coaches Compliance